About The Hangar
In 1927 “The Hangar” was built to use as the Natrona County Airport. Located seven miles north of Casper on Salt Creek Highway. Wardwell Field was named in honor of Major Doyen P. Wardwell of Casper, a pioneer of aviation development in Casper and Wyoming. Wardwell died in an airplane crash in Casper Aug. 8, 1929 when the plane he was piloting went into a tailspin and crashed near the airport. Casper Municipal Airport was officially rededicated as Wardwell Field in September 1930. Wardwell Field later closed with the airport relocating to the former Casper Army Air Base. Ronnie Nunn bought the land and started subdividing it in 1958 calling it Bar Nunn Ranch Subdivision. Wardwell Field is now the location of the town of Bar Nunn and the runways as the city streets.
The plane now parked in the hangar was owned and raced by James C. “Jim” Good. Jim was a Nebraska native who came to Wyoming in 1952 following his discharge from the Army after a four year tour in which he served in Germany during the Berlin Airlift. After working in the oilfields, learning the blacksmith trade and an auto mechanice, he pursued his fascination with aeronautics, earning his private pilot license in 1965. In 1972 Jim earned his airline transport pilot license flying for Amoco Oil Corp in Casper logging more that 34,000 hours flying until his retirement in 1995. Good Warbirds Museum located at the Natrona County International Airport Hangar is where Jim gave tours to school groups and other organizations interested in vintage aircraft. Including a Korean war-era Russian MIG-15.
Romie Nunn, a local rancher and successful businessman, who moved to Casper in 1918 with his family, owned a portion of the Wardwell Field Property. He repurchased the airport property (consisting of 640 acres) in 1954 for $205000. Mr. Nunn hoped to make it “the Horse Center of The Rockers” but ultimately subdivided the area in 1958, calling it Bar Nunn Ranch Subdivision. In 1990 Bundy’s purchased the building from being torn down. Bundy operated Bundy’s Marine till 2012.